Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Drat that Cat!

Our home came with an added 'feature' which we didn't learn about until closing...Kidaca.



Don't get me wrong. I love cats. Adore them. And Kidaca is no exception. It's just we weren't expecting her. She just happened upon us.

Mrs. Billy - the kindest, funniest and most generous little old lady ever lived very happily in this home for nearly two decades. And when her children insisted it was time to move, she wasn't happy. Apparently, neither was the cat. Because no matter how often I caught her and carried her to Miss Billy's new home (two blocks away) - she found her way back to our yard.

So I fed her. And I pet her. And the neighbors reveled that Kitty let me even touch her let alone hold her. And I fell in love. It's been 3 years now, and Kidaca waits under our car every morning and evening for her 9-Lives and cuddles, which Ava and I happily give.

But our own kitty - our planned, expected 'pet' - Miss Cleo - isn't having it. I suspect she is guilty of the bite wounds in Kidaca's tail. They've been ugly for about a week and are now starting to ooze.

This is where the guilt sets in. I KNOW she needs medical attention. But we're on a tight budget, she's not technically OURS (oh - isn't the denial disgusting?) and the vets I've consulted will charge anywhere between $30 - $48 to even LOOK at her. She is fixed and has received her rabies booster, but nothing more.

I've struggled for a week over what to do - all the while dabbing her sore with Q-Tip swabs of Neosporin. But the time for action has come. Do we pay a potentially astronomical amount (anything seems outlandish to Jason to spend on this cat) or take her to the Humane Society and comfort ourselves with the theory that she's had a good run?

THANK GOODNESS for my mom. "Take that cat to the vet NOW", she told me. "The check's in the mail." She may have saved my marriage.

Kitty's now at the vet and we've told them what we are willing/able to spend and they say it can be done. Thank you mom! You are the sweetest, kindest, most generous person I know.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Okay, how funny is the picture of Cleo staring down Kidaca?? But seriously, that is so hard, to see an animal hurting and really be able to help. I wonder if any of the shelters would look at her "pro bono" if you'd just keep her? Try Lindsey Young Animal Center off Sutherland? Although I guess if Cleo won't ease up.... argh, that's tough!!