Monday, January 26, 2009

Seriously...already?

It's no secret that Ava has a thing for Nicholas. He's a sweet, quiet 5 year-old who goes to her school.

Last week I asked her how Nicholas was doing and she said good. She followed up this painless, very safe reply with, "I don't like it when Hattie looks at Nicholas!"

Her teachers told me Nick was popular among the preschool girls. He has a younger brother and sister who are in Ava's class, so when he plays with them, he becomes more accessible. Yet he's older, making him a little bit cool. And very cute. And according to Ava, 'he's so smart mommy!'.

I tried to explain how we have lots of friends, and it's okay for even our best friends to have other friends.

"I don't YIKE IT!" she protested.

Yesterday I asked her about Hattie.

"How is she?" I asked.

"I said, 'YOU DON'T YOOK AT NICK-A-YUS' to her!", she replied.

"You what?" I stammered. OMG, she's three, I'm thinking. "What did she say?" I prodded.

"Don't push me!"

"Ava, did you push her????"

"...yes"

OMG! My child is a little bully fighting over boys on the playground ALREADY. God help me. Seriously, Jesus, help me!!!!

"Ava, we do NOT push our friends, do you understand? What did your teacher say?"

"She said, 'Girls, go back to work'."

So it's begun. Already.

She's quick - and I've got to do all I can to be a kind, gentle and loving role-model. Kind of like Nicholas...

No comments: